Yogurt (curd) 3 cups
Urad daal 1 cup
Ginger-garlic paste 1 tsp.
Chopped green chilli 1
Red chilli powder 1 tsp.
Roasted cumin powder 1 tsp.
Salt to taste
Vegetable oil as required
Chopped green coriander leaves for garnishing
1. Wash dal thoroughly and then soak it in water for about 5-6 hours.
2. Grind it in mixie to make smooth paste.
3. Add chopped green chilli, ginger-garlic paste and salt to taste. Mix well.
4. Take a katori and cover its mouth with a wet cloth. Hold the cloth tight from below so as to get flat surface on top. Put 1 tbsp. of urad dal paste on the top of the wet cloth and slightly flatten it with wet hands. Make a small hole in the centre.
5. Slide this bada into the heated oil and deep fry until golden brown on medium heat. Similarly make all the badas. You can fry 5-6 badas at a time depending on how big is your kadhai.
6. Once you are done with all the badas, put then in hot water for about 3-4 minutes so that they become soft. Squeeze out the water by pressing bada between the palms of your hands.
7. Churn yogurt and salt together until it becomes smooth.
8. Keep one cup of yogurt aside and add all the badas to the rest of the yogurt. Dahi badas are ready to serve.
For serving, place dahi bada in a serving dish. Pour the yogurt (that was kept aside) on it. Sprinkle red chilli powder and roasted cumin powder. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and tamarind chutney. Keep rest of the tamarind chutney and also green chutney in separate bowls at the side.