1 Whole chicken about 1-1/2 Kg
Thinly sliced onions 4 ( medium size)
Finely chopped tomatoes 5 (medium size)
Garlic paste 1 tsp.
Ginger paste 2 tsp.
Finely chopped green chilli 1 tbsp.
Yogurt (curd) 1/2 cup
Bay leaves 2-3
Black pepper 6-7
Brown cardamom 2
Red chilli powder 1 tsp.
Coriander powder 1 tsp.
Turmeric Powder 1 tsp.
Roasted cumin powder 1 tsp.
Salt to taste
Vegetable oil 7 tbsp.
Green coriander leaves for garnishing
1. Thoroughly clean the chicken and cut into pieces.
2. Heat 4 tbsp. oil in a big frying pan. Add chicken pieces and saute them until brown on all sides.
3. Remove the chicken pieces. Add the remaining oil and heat.
4. Add bay leaves, black pepper, cloves and brown cardamom and fry for few seconds. Add sliced onion, ginger, garlic and green chilli and fry over medium heat until they turn light brown.
5. Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, roasted cumin powder and salt. Stir well. Add tomatoes and cook until tender.
6. Add churned yogurt and water (3 cups). Stir and bring it to boil on high. Reduce the heat to medium and add chicken pieces.
7. Cover the pan and cook until the chicken is tender and the gravy is thick.
Garnish with chopped green coriander leaves and serve hot.