Milk 1/2 litre
Refined flour (maida) 2 tsp
Citric acid dissolved in water or lemon juice
1/4 tsp dissolved in 1/2 cup water or lemon juice 2-3 tbsp.
Sugar 1 cup
Water 1 cup
Rose essence or cardamom powder 2-3 drops or 1/4 tsp
1. Heat milk in a pan and bring it to boil. Remove from heat.
2. Add citric acid or lemon juice.
3. Stir slowly and gently until white curd forms on the surface and separates from whey.
4. On straining this milk, the curd that is obtained is called “chenna”. Wash chenna well under cold running water and twist the cloth that was used for straining to extract water.
5. Knead chenna to make a smooth dough. Add flour and knead again.
6. Make small balls of equal size (6-7) of the dough and keep aside.
7. Next make sugar syrup. Mix sugar and water in a saucepan and bring it to boil.
8. Add chenna balls to the syrup and cook for 15 minutes with lid partially covered. Chenna dumplings will puff up.
9. On cooling, add rose essence.
Refrigerate and serve chilled.